Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lodo, cansado, y mucho lluvia

Those are the spanish words I have used the most the past few weeks. Mud, tired and rain. They are essential on hikes. I have done some of the hardest hiking of my life this month. Once we started going off the roads and frequently used trails, the hiking got insane. We had to slog through cow pastures that were almost vertical, hack our way through the jungle, and practically swim across pools of mud that swallow you up to your knee. It's exhausting, but kind of cool learning how much you can do.

This weekend Athena and I went to Apuela to check out the market, and immediately after getting off the bus discovered that Carnaval was in full swing. Within a minute we had been hit with water balloons, and sprayed with foam and water guns. Here Carnaval means soaking people on the street. We were VERY popular targets, so we bought cans of foam so we could defend ourselves. It turned into a giant water fight, the two of us against what seemed like all the local guys (girls generally don't fight back). It was the best water fight I've ever had. Today is the last days of Carnaval, which is kind of good because now we can walk into town without getting wet.

Anyway, hi to everyone back home, I miss you! Write to me if you get a chance, I'd love to hear from you.

Clementine

1 comment:

  1. You forgot the other very important word associated with carnaval -- MOJADO! :D
    Miss u miss clementine. Keep posting on here so i know what you're up to, and I'll send you my mass emails. xxx

    ReplyDelete